What do you all think? Please tell your views on it...

My stance on the complete respecting your elders' issue is straightforward and is just about what most of us think. Respect is usually earned. The aged tend to urge it thanks to their time on this earth giving them a good deal of knowledge, however, there is a unit several exceptions to the current. I’ve seen teenagers wiser than seventy-year olds and 70+ year old be like youngsters.


For example, I worked at a company that uses a crane for cargo as a  general labourer. I was going to be trained to operate the crane by one of the senior operators. So what does the guy do? he gets to paint and paints over all the labels in the crane all so it would be harder for me to learn. I heard him bragging about it and about how he’s been operating cranes for 40+ years and wasn’t about to let young blood screw him over. If he was so confident in his abilities then he would never be at risk of me “screwing him over”. Over my time at that company, I watched that very same “operator” make some of the stupidest mistakes and sometimes highly hazardous things in heavy equipment that include, lifting a load before the guys tying the load up is ready, resulting in them falling down, or even pinching a guy’s hand between the straps and the load on the crane and lifting him up a couple feet off the ground. I watched him flip the crane overdue to him not having the outriggers deployed and trying to lift something too heavy while the boom on the said crane was extended way too far. The company bought a crane off another company that was doing repair work. The operator from that contracted company knew how to handle a crane. that operator used that crane for 6–10 months with no problems. When the operator for the company I was working for got in it, on his second use, he broke the freaking chain that moved the darn thing, this was after the operator from the other company and that other company’s mechanic showed him how to use the crane. The whole ordeal was basically him telling them how everything in the crane was wrong. I can go on and on about this guy but yeah this is all I wanted to tell you and yes I can give you more examples like this.

I can get a bit long-winded with this subject because I’m from a country with a culture that really into the whole respect your elders' thing. Yet in my hometown, the vast majority of older people (and by extension even younger people) act like entitled, self-righteous, childish morons. You doing something that is clearly more efficient? no, they want you to do it their way when asked why you get an answer that amounts to “because I said so” or “because that is the way it’s always been done”. You working together to finish a task? 90% of the work gets dumped on you. You’re the same rank as the older guy but simply because he’s older he feels that he doesn’t need to work as much so I’m stuck lifting heavy boxes and lumber by myself. I bring this up with him and he tries to chew me out saying “he paved the way for guys like me.”



Long story short, the ones you call elders are supposed to be wise and mature and guide the younger generation NOT antagonize them. If they don’t have that wisdom and maturity, then they are not worth respecting beyond a proper greeting.


I’d conjointly wish to add that their knowledge is predicated on their experiences. Which was quite valuable back within the day, as very little as 25–50 years ago in truth. however the globe is dynamic, and it’s doing and growing at a very fast pace, therefore, area of their thinking and their wisdom, most in order that the worth of their knowledge that's primarily based off their personal experience is gone down.

Please, comment your views on it....
Mindset Medieval

Post a Comment

Please do not enter any spam link in the comment box.

Previous Post Next Post